Ponce de Leon searched for the fountain of youth and Indiana Jones sought the holy grail, but most folks would be content just to search (and, hopefully, find) a better sex life. And that begins with a healthy sex drive, which in turn starts with feeling physically and emotionally healthy. To get to that point, we need to be fueling our bodies properly, and that means consuming the right foods and nutrients.
It’s really not that complicated. Health experts have identified dozens of different foods that can play some role in giving you that extra spark and even some added endurance to take your sex life to the next level, even if that next level simply means recapturing experiences of 10 to 20 years ago.
This Is Nothing New
Don’t feel bad if you find yourself in this boat – you have lots of company and predecessors. There are millions of people alive right now looking for ways to better rock the bedroom, and even better if they can do it without having to resort to prescriptions and pharmaceuticals for that extra help.
Per medicalnewstoday.com, humans for thousands of years have been chasing after ways to boost their sexual please and performance. Oftentimes, the search begins and ends at the local market where foods that ramp up libido, enhance stamina, and take your sex life to new heights await.
17 Foods for Better Sex
If your sex life has waned in recent months or years, there’s never a bad time to talk about it with your physician. Chances are they will be your cheerleader in terms of finding and consuming the right foods to get you on your way to nighttime nirvana (or noontime nirvana?).
In alphabetical order:
- Apples. Apples, like other fruits such as berries and cherries, are rich in an antioxidant known as quercetin, which not only promotes circulation – good news for healthy sex – but also plays a role in minimizing symptoms of prostatitis and interstitial cystitis, which can cause pain and discomfort during sexual activity, per healthline.com.
- Avocados. The folic acid of avocados provide the body with energy, while its vitamin B6 stabilizes the hormones, per timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- Bananas. As a great source of potassium, which is a key nutrient for muscle contraction, they contribute to good quality sex. They also contain bromelain, which helps in the production of testosterone, which benefits both men and women in the bedroom, per redbookmag.com.
- Celery. Celery contains an amino acid – arginine – that expands blood vessels in the same way Viagra does, per redbookmag.com. It also contains two steroids – androsterone and adrostenol – which work through our sweat glands to attract the opposite sex.
- Dark chocolate. Helps release pleasure-inducing chemicals that can heighten the sexual experience.
- Garlic. A natural blood thinner that can enhance healthy blood flow.
- Ginseng. Has been shown to enhance sexual arousal in menopausal women and improve sexual function in men.
- Maca. This plant is a relative of the radish and can do lots of things to improve your sex life: enhance energy and stamina, help women deal with menopause, and counter the effects of sexual dysfunction caused by antidepressants, per medlineplus.gov.
- Oysters. Long believed to be No. 1 in the area of aphrodisiacs. Per healthline.com, oysters, as well as clams and scallops, include compounds that raise testosterone and estrogen levels, which can produce heightened sexual desire.
- Pumpkin seeds. A potent source of zinc, which boosts testosterone. Per redbookmag.com, that’s good news for both men and women as studies have indicated that women with high levels of testosterone have a greater sex drive.
- Red meat. Add chicken and pork to this listing as well: all three contain carnitine, L-arginine, and zinc to help blood flow.
- Red wine. Research cited at healthline.com says that one to two glasses of red wine a day can enhance sexual desire and lubrication in women.
- Saffron. Another natural aphrodisiac that can improve sex drive, performance in bed, all while also boosting stamina and energy, per timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- Salmon. It’s heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids can improve blood flow throughout your body by opposing the buildup of plaque in your arteries, and optimizing blood flow, which is central to healthy sex. Crab and lobster are among other types of seafood associated with enhanced sex.
- Sweet basil. Per redbookmag.com, this herb is said to have an aroma that enhances a male’s sexual desire, and the basil itself can increase blood circulation throughout your body, and that includes your sexual organs.
- Walnuts. These can improve fertility by enhancing the quality of sperm in terms of shape, movement, and vitality, per timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- Watermelon. This juicy fruit improves the erection and ramps up the libido, while the watermelon’s citrulline releases arginine that is instrumental to vascular health, per timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- Zinc. This is the bottom of the list, obviously, but zinc deserves a spot closer to the top. It aids blood flow to sexual organs for both genders.