No matter when it hits, constipation can make our lives simply miserable. Unfortunately, it seems to attack many of us at the most inopportune times — vacations, professional events, and excursions. When it happens to us, all that seems to be at the top of our minds is getting relief. And fast.
When dealing with this uncomfortable condition, you’re faced with a number of symptoms — from difficulty having a bowel movement and bloating to hard stools and abdominal pain. Not at all pleasant.
Here are 5 ways you can alleviate or prevent constipation issues.
1. Increase your fluid intake. By drinking more water on a consistent basis, you can help take preventative measures against constipation which can be brought on by dehydration in your colon. Drinking adequates amount of water daily — eight glasses a day — can get things moving again.
2. Exercise more regularly. Moving your body on a regular basis can stimulate your intestine muscles, causing them to contract to produce bowel movements. It also can increase blood flow to your digestive tract.
3. Increase your fiber intake. Consuming more fiber in the form of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, seeds and nuts can help you prevent problems with constipation.
4. Take Bisacodyl . This short-term remedy alleviates constipation by increasing the activity of intestine muscles, causing you to have a bowel movement — usually within 6 to 12 hours. It is usually recommended that you take a tablet before going to sleep at night.
5. Try various herbs. Certain herbs have been helpful in treating constipation symptoms, including psyllium, a natural fiber laxative.
To alleviate symptoms of constipation with Bisacodyl , try Wonder Lab’s Bisacodyl Enteric Coated Delayed-Release Laxative Tablets. Directions: Adults and children 12 years and over take 1 to 3 tablets (usually 2) daily.
If you have consistent problems with constipation, make sure to contact your doctor, especially if you have severe cramping, bloody stools, rectal pain or severe abdominal pain.