Never heard of turmeric? Chances are you may be more familiar with it than you realize. If you’ve ever had curry, the fragrant spice is one of the core ingredients that give the Indian dish its wonderful flavor. Or you probably added mustard to your hot dogs and hamburgers recently. If so, you’ve encountered curry … it’s the ingredient that gives the condiment its yellow color.
Yet, based on extensive research and studies found at Improve Your Health, it turns out that turmeric, which is the dried root of the plant Curcuma longa, has many more benefits beyond its flavor. Turmeric has been found to be beneficial as a healing property for the following health conditions:
5 Reasons to Add Turmeric to Your Daily Diet
1. Poor memory. Turmeric has been found to boost oxygen to the brain, improving memory and other brain functions and processes.
2. Chronic inflammation. According to research, curcumin — an active ingredient in turmeric — has anti-inflammatory compounds, helping to relieve chronic inflammation and pain in study subjects.
3. Rheumatoid arthritis. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric also has been shown to be effective in treating people with rheumatoid arthritis.
4. Depression. Studies have shown that patients suffering from depression had similar results in alleviating symptoms with curcumin as those who took prescription anti-depressants.
5. Heart disease. Studies have shown that curcumin, because it has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, can have a beneficial impact in addressing factors that lead to heart disease.
When taking turmeric as a supplement, make sure it naturally contains curcumin — the active ingredient that provides free radical fighting antioxidants. Wonder Lab’s Gluten-free Turmeric has the properties that nutritionally support digestive health, liver health and skin health.